Instagram

Instagram

Monday, September 30, 2013

Napa Cabbage with Crushed Sesame Seeds

My husband came home from a fishing trip so we're having fresh fish tonight!  What can I cook as a side dish to broiled fish?  Chef Azuki had the answer!  Here’s a delicious side dish that will compliment fish or chicken dishes.  I’m going to try it tonight.

Napa Cabbage with Crushed Sesame Seeds



Ingredients:
3 cups of water
1 head of nappa cabbage
1 T memmi
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp crushed sesame seed


Directions:
1.     Boil 3 cups of water in a large pot
2.     Chop the napa and add to the boiling water
3.     Boil for 5 minutes or until napa is tender
4.     Drain napa and squeeze out the excess water
5.     Mix memmi and sesame oil
6.     Pour memmi and sesame oil mixture on napa
7.     Gently toss
8.     Add store bought crushed sesame seeds or lightly roast raw sesame seeds in a pan and gently crush in suribachi, not into a paste.
9.     Sprinkle crushed sesame seeds over the cabbage

Oh yum!  It sounds so delicious!  I love cabbage, and the more delicate napa cabbage is one of my favorites!  I remember my mom using a suribachi when I was growing up.  Maybe I’ll have to get one next time I’m at a Japanese market.  I’ll probably try a mortar and pestle this time.  I’ll let you know how it goes.  Thank you Chef Azuki, I’m going to try this tonight!  I can already smell the delectable aroma of roasted sesame seeds being crushed.

BeaNspirations: 
I transport to another time and place with smells and images from my kitchen.


No comments:

Post a Comment